RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Jul 2 08:07:39 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> 1) If your computer didn't have X, it would still boot up. It might not
> do what you what, but then again, you could say the same about Firefox
> and OpenOffice.org. But true enough, X is a crucial part for the
> desktop.

"For the desktop". Right. But desktop are just one part of where
Linux is used. I'd say that servers are far more important. Just
think about all the web servers. Or the embedded systems.

> 2) Linux is actually the least critical part. There are other free
> kernels that can be used instead and the average user wouldn't notice
> the difference (e.g. BSD, Hurd).

Say, is Hurd ready yet? :)

> So, between Linux, GNU and X11, the first is can be replaced, and the
> last is not critical for the system to boot up

Right. But the second, GNU, can also be replaced. At least on Gentoo,
there's an effort to create a BSD/Linux, ie. replace all the GNU
userland tools by BSD.

Granted, that project is not "yet" ready, it seems.

> (but admittedly not in a
> useful way to a desktop user). For this reason, I would rank them in
> this order:
>
> 1) GNU
> 2) X11
> 3) Linux.

ACK

> I'm not saying that this justifies RMS asking people to call it
> GNU/Linux. I'm just trying to be fair about GNU's role.
>

>> > I write GNU/Linux but pronounce it "Linux" :)
>>
>> That even makes sense.  :D
>>
>> --
>> Michael T. Richter
>> Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
>> MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
>> michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
>> mtr1966 at jabber.cn
>>
>> "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
>> institution of slavery in the States where it exists." --Abraham
>> Lincoln

Alexander Skwar
--
"To IBM, 'open' means there is a modicum of interoperability among some of their
equipment."