RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sun Jul 2 02:45:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 11:43:54AM +0200, jean gruneberg wrote:
> Actually, I must admit I am getting a little tired of Stallman.  Time to
> move forward.  There will always be companies that have closed source
> drivers - live with it.

No.  That's the whole reason free software exists -- to say "we can do
better than this".

> Does being 100% free make for better software for the masses, no.

Try asking an Xorg developer whether proprietary nVidia/ATI drivers is
making it easier for them to support Xorg on that hardware and provide a
better Xorg "for the masses".  Go on, give it a shot.  They'll tell you at
great length how much of a pain it is when they can't fix those drivers to
make them work properly -- when suspend/resume glitches up, or some other
user-visible screwup happens.  I know this, because Dave Airlie gave a talk
I saw last Friday night in which he made this very point.

- Matt