RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jul 1 17:15:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 17:45 +0200, jean gruneberg wrote:
> Well with the added dvd player bundled with the dvd drive altho' all
> laptops with preimaged disks have dvd playback out the box.

In other words, Ubuntu and XP are the same when it comes to playing
DVDs: both require a third party product; and if an OEM chooses to
install it, then the customer feels that it works "out of the box". I
have given out a couple of Ubuntu computers as an OEM, guess what, they
"played DVD out of the box".

> media layer has played mp3 for some time now.

So has Totem. I have a few MP3s and they worked fine before I installed
w32codecs.

If you want to find a media format that Windows plays out of the box and
Ubuntu doesn't, try .wmv. But I could retort that Ubuntu plays .ogg
files out of the box and Windows doesn't. And it so happens that all my
music is in .ogg files.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org
  "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the