RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 23:57:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-07 at 00:34 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:

> > So it should, in fact, be
> > called Xorg/XFree+GNU+Linux.

> I wouldn't object to your calling it X/GNU/Linux if you want.

That's the whole point, however.  You don't particularly care what
people call it.  You have your own approach to it and allow others
theirs.

RMS does care, however.  He wants everybody to call it GNU/Linux or GNU
+Linux because he feels pissy over Linus' success and his own perceived
snubbing.  He tries to rationalise it by saying that since "most" of the
code is GNU and Linux only fills "a small remaining part" that this is
justified because it "recognises the valuable contributions of GNU".
Yet, oddly enough, he doesn't seem to think that other valuable
contributions -- contributions which are far more valuable in terms of
widespread adoption (your average end-user not knowing nor caring what a
"grep" or an "awk" is) -- should be "recognised" in the name.  So his
whole rationalisation falls apart.

> > Further, just on the side of salesmanship: a short, easily-pronounced
> > name -- "Linux" in this case -- is far superior to a clumsy expression
> > like "Guh-new plus Linux" or "Guh-new slash Linux".

> I write GNU/Linux but pronounce it "Linux" :)

That even makes sense.  :D

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the
institution of slavery in the States where it exists." --Abraham Lincoln