RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jul 1 23:34:58 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-07 at 07:17 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> And X?  What about X?  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that
> GNU doesn't mean a damn in terms of Linux's sudden surge on the
> desktop without X.  And, in fact, it is X specifically which makes a
> Linux distro usable to normal end-users.  So it should, in fact, be
> called Xorg/XFree+GNU+Linux.

I wouldn't object to your calling it X/GNU/Linux if you want. I don't
like people telling other people how to write GNU/Linux. My take is that
I choose to call it GNU/Linux for my own reasons and you can call it
whatever you want. I think we can both recognize the invaluable
contributions of GNU, Linux, X.org, Gnome, KDE and OpenOffice.org
without putting them in the name.

> Further, just on the side of salesmanship: a short, easily-pronounced
> name -- "Linux" in this case -- is far superior to a clumsy expression
> like "Guh-new plus Linux" or "Guh-new slash Linux".

I write GNU/Linux but pronounce it "Linux" :)

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org
  "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the