GPL compliance

ubuntu at rio.vg ubuntu at rio.vg
Sat Jul 1 22:35:29 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Gary W. Swearingen schrieb:

>>> But it's still hard to believe - what should stop an author
>>> from distributing his program?
>> You misunderstood him.
>
> Okay. I was reading reading points 1 and 2 and was especially baffled
> by 1: "By default, a computer program cannot be distributed.".

I should have added "by a 3rd party", I'm sorry.  I was thinking faster
than I was typing.

 >> Nothing should (nor would) stop the author, unless maybe he wasn't the
>> owner of his authorship
>
> That's not possible. An author is always an author. He cannot be
> NOT the owner of his authorship. That simply doesn't work. Maybe
> in some countries, but that's nothing I care about. I care only
> about my country.
>
>> (eg, he sold his rights or was an employee who
>> never had any).
>
> Not possible, as far as I know.

Authors can, in fact, sell their copyrights, in their entirety.  It
happens in the music business all the time.  An author can sell or
transfer all of his or her rights to a work, in their entirety, should
the author so choose.  Having done so, the author would have no more
rights to that work as any other common person.