Desktop freeze; Hardware, Software?

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 30 22:52:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:25:26 -0500, Jonathan Nelson wrote:

> On Sunday 29 January 2006 04:02 pm, Shelagh Manton wrote:
>> Over the past few weeks my desktop has frozen occasionally. The mouse
>> works but nothing else does.
>
> It may very well be a program grabbing the keypresses.  I've had this happen
> in KDE with both juk and amarok.  Right clicking on their systray icon will
> normally send whatever keys you've pressed, else clicking the kmenu->run
> command and choosing a previously typed (since you can't type now) command
> 'killall amarokapp; amarok' works.
>
> If you can click on the widgets without anything happening, this this probably
> wont work for you, but its worth a shot.

Yes, I'll give this a go.
I also suspect it may be what Tom has suggested. (heat)
I have used the memtest thing but with my limited knowledge of all things
technical, I look at the figures and hope for the best. but it is hot here
at the moment. Tho' I have been keeping an eye on the fans and things.
They are free of dust.

Any way next time it happens, I'll try what you've suggested. The most
frustrating thing about the freezes is that they've happened when
I'm showing off my lovely OS!

Shelagh