ADSL problem

Keith Burton kb at starbeast.net
Fri Jan 27 18:30:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 03:10, maurizio bonavita wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have recently bought a new router Roper Flynet ADSL
> 2/2 I followed the istruction fot its configuration
> and it works on windows but I have some problems make
> it work properly on Kubuntu. I tried form shell
> pinging a website like google.com and it works, tried
> apt-get upgrade, update and it works problem is when I
> try to open a website with mozilla or read an email it
> seems like there is no network at all.
> Am I missing something in the network configuration?
> Thanx in advance for your help.
>
> Maurizio
Hi Maurizio,

When I switched from cable modem to ADSL, I had to manually lower the MTU size
in my LInux boxes.  I had similar, though not identical, symptoms to yours,
where some apps worked fine and others failed. It doesn't (as far as I know)
hurt anything to experiment with lowering MTU size. If this doesn't work,
just take the line back out.

sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces     #or use vi, or your favorite text
editor.
Find the line that starts "iface eth0 inet".  Add this line immediately after
it:
mtu 1400
Save the file, and exit the editor.
sudo ifdown eth0