[dapper] lo interface

Tobias Hunger tobias at aquazul.com
Wed Jan 25 11:16:40 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 15:12, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> This was mentioned in the release notes of Flight 3 ... specifically
> that after an unclean shutdown this file isn't empty (it's also supposed
> to get cleaned on shutdown).
>
> I've got fixed packages for it (they move the network state file
> to /var/run which is a tmpfs now), which also fix all network interface
> problems (not being hotplugged, etc.) but there's a slight but I'm going
> to fix today before I upload.

Hi Scott!

The fix has landed and does indeed work. Thanks for fixing this issue!
Unfortunately I ran into another problem with similar results which I reported
in malone #29637.

The problem there is that if you have /var on a separate partition then the
root partition does not contain a directory /var/run (/var/lock is there for
some reason or another). This is due to the installer mounting all partitions
before unpacking the base-files. mountvirtfs notices this during bootup and
tries to create the missing directories. Unfortunately / is still mounted
read-only at that point... so mkdir fails. This of course causes the mounting
of the tmpfs on /var/run to fail. That way the ifupdown statefile lands on a
real partition again, giving me the same headachs as before.

To work around this problem I did the following as root:
# mount --move /var /mnt
# mkdir -p /var/run
# mkdir -p /var/lock
# mount --move /mnt /var
# reboot

All is well for me now and the interfaces come up nicely.

Regards,
Tobias Hunger