Which is better? OSX or Ubuntu?

Terry Parker terry at parkerfamily.ws
Mon Jan 23 03:33:59 UTC 2006

>2. Your machine has USB 1.1, NOT 2.0. This means that your 120 GB HD
>will transfer files at a glacial pace (about 1 MB/sec MAX) compared to
>USB 2.0 or Firewire. If you can use Firewire (IEEE 1391) do so -- it's
>faster than USB 2.0 in real world situations (technically USB 2.0 is
>480 Mbps and Firewire is 400 Mbps but Firewire is a more robust
>protocol, better able to sustain data transfers).

I like USB 2.0 better, I suppose just personal preference. It gives me
better results.

----

While the former statement is true, 1394 (1391 sic), will almost always
provide better throughput and has more flexible powering options (though USB
2.0 is catching up), what I really wonder about is Apple's commitment to
1394/firewire.  My brand spanking new $400 60GB Ipod comes with USB 2.0
connectors only and actually if you try to use a firewire/usb bridge to
charge it, they are saying you can damage the battery and lower its life
expectancy.  I'd say this is a sign that the point is moot and that USB 2.x
won out.