how to recover lost files

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 07:00:54 UTC 2006

On 23/01/06, Duncan Lithgow <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> because I can't work out how to unmount my usb external harddrive now
> that the icon on my desk is gone - I've screwed up by not unmounting
> properly - now I've lost some files.

When the desktop icon is gone (i assume you hid it, or changed the way
external drives are handled) you can unmount properly using a few
different methods.

1) from "Computer" - if you go Places -> Computer you will have a view
of all your drives, select and right click your drive and unmount.
2) from any nautilus window - if you have the Side Panel on (F9) and
in Tree mode, you can right click on your drive and unmount.
3) from command line/terminal - using 'df' you can find the mount
points and use 'umount /media/disk'
4) from a panel you can add the 'Disk Mounter' applet and use it accordingly.

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com