get GDM to read .xsession ?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 22 00:41:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:12:46 -0500
Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 07:17:27 +0000
> Dick Davies <rasputnik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any way to do this? If I just choose my wm as the default, I
> > get a 30 second delay before fluxbox starts.
> >
> > This is probably a DNS timeout, but as I use multicast DNS
> > on my WLAN, there's not much I can do about that.
> >

> Make sure you are running the LATEST version of Flux - earlier versions had long delays for
> some reason.

Yes, fluxbox 0.9.14 and up fix the problem, which was apparently that the
font server was being flooded ( with earlier versions the work-around was
to compile with  --disable-xmb as an option in ./configure ) . See

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-May/036501.html

You can download the source for 0.9.14 here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fluxbox/fluxbox-0.9.14.tar.gz

This version doesn't require the work-around.

My understanding is that Dapper will use 0.9.14, so this problem is
(finally) solved. I currently run the 0.9.14 version on Breezy with no
issues.

Peter