apt-get -f install problems

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 20 13:44:59 UTC 2006

Darren Wyn Rees wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:29:07AM -0200, Julio Biason wrote:
>
>> You probably have other packages that have Postfix and Python as
>> dependencies.
>
> The only piece of information I am looking for is to know "is this
> fixable?".

You don't get that option on a mailing list.  You can ignore what we tell
you, but you can't tell us what we can tell you :-)

> In other words, when there is a package dependency problem as I've
> described can that be rectified.

Sort of.  I'd go ahead and let it install the packages.  Then, one at a
time, try removing postfix and python, and see what it wants to remove in
addition.  I'd be a bit surprised if you can have anything that looks much
like Ubuntu without python, but postfix isn't necessary.

> It's beginning to look like a re-installation of the operating system is
> required.

Not a chance.  Though anyone masochistic enough to install qmail shouldn't
have any fear of an OS reinstall.
--
derek