Can Ubuntu handle winmodems?

Old Rocker old.rocker at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 22:30:54 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 Jan 2006 23:26, J. Kaplowitz wrote:

> Can Ubuntu 5.10 auto-configure winmodems?  The answer is NOT "Buy a
> serial port modem."  Before I invest any time with Ubuntu, I need it
> to work with my hardware.  Thanks.

A winmodem is a modem that relies on part of the Windows operating
system to add to the onboard code of the modem to make it work.  By
definition, Linux will not run winmodems "out of the box".

However, the code to enable a number of winmodems to work has been
reverse-engineered and incorporated into various kernels, so before you
can get an answer to that question, you will need to let us know what
particular winmodem you are using.

If you Google on winmodems + linux you will get a number of resources.
Known as Linmodems (Linux winmodems) support is detailed in:

http://linmodems.org/

http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto.html

and if you are running a laptop, try:

http://www.tuxmobil.org/modem_linux.html