Is Ubuntu The One ?

pinoyskull pinoyskull at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 09:24:05 UTC 2006

Xn Nooby wrote:

> I just started using Ubuntu, and it seems to be put together really
> well.  My unix skills are limited, but I was able to get Firefox,
> Flash, Java, and Realplayer to work.  I was able to install VMWare
> 5.5, Anjuta, VLC, nvidia driver, gqview, and some other apps I found.
> Everything seems to work as advertised.
>
> A friend of mine replaced his college kids laptop Windows with Ubuntu,
> because they kept getting zillions of virii.  A couple of really smart
> Unix people I know are moving from Debian to Ubuntu, not because its
> simple, but because its less work for them.  Ubuntu has also dominated
> Distrowatch for about a year.
>
> It looks like Ubuntu could be the version of linux many people have
> been waiting for, one put together well enough to really break out and
> in to the mainstream of computing (as in several % marketshare).  Some
> people think Apple is poised to reclaim marketshare as Microsoft
> stagnates, I think if that happens, Linux will also.  The hardware
> requirements for Microsofts next OS will undoubtly drive more people
> towards linux.
>
> Does anyone else forsee explosive Ubuntu growth in the coming year?

Some time ago many are hesitant on converting to Linux because the
conotation is that it's hard to install/setup, but Ubuntu is different,
it is very user friendly in terms of installation and its is fairly easy
to customize. If ever you have problems that you cannot solve, there's
the forum that has a friendly community.