Ubuntu is not Firefox friendly

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 15 22:03:37 UTC 2006

Colin,
 After you unzipped the file into the usr, did you then add it to your archive?
 I unzipped the tar file into a folder named Firefox, but left it in the home/temp the first time and it got deleted!  I downloaded it again and put it in a folder Firefox, unzipped it, ran the installer, then added it to the archive.  I don't know if that was the "proper method", but it worked!  Good luck!
 Diehl, James

James Diehl <jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net> wrote: There is another Firefox browser version 1.7 too!  I ran it for a while, and it worked great!  Then there was an upgrade for developing; 2.0.  The Java Runtime from Firefox plug-ins installed fine on mine, but you can go to Sun Microsystems and get their 5.0 Java for i586 Intel if you need to for free.  They have a couple of versions for browser installation and database Java control too!
 Diehl, James

Sasha Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote: Gordon McCammick wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:20:40 +0100
>Colin Brace  wrote:
>

>>On 1/15/06, 'Forum Post  wrote:
>>

>>>It works fine for me. Except java enabled sites.
>>>
>>>I can't install java-support in  Firefox.
>>>

>>I've been perplexed by this as well.  Java installed fine in 1.07 and
>>earlier, but Firefox v1.5 refuses to see the java plugin.
>>

>I guess it depends on how and where firefox is installed.
>
>I have 1.5 installed in /usr/local/firefox (from tarball) - manually
>creating the symlink from java plugin to /usr/local/firefox/plugins was
>all that was required to enable java support
>

>>This section on the wiki therefore appears to be out of date:
>>
>>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats#head-ef347c277a133b64af0600bd1bf24bc64e7038b8
>>

>Y'know I've never considered creating a /home/username/.mozilla/plugins
>directory - guess it doesn't matter how you do it on a single user box.

For what it's worth, I installed firefox 1.5 fine  in breezy by just
unpacking the tarball into my home directory and then making the
necessary symlinks for plugns, etc. However, my 64-bit firefox 1.0.7
would randomly exit frequently, usually within half and hour after being
started. I would probably agree that Ubuntu is not particularly Firefox
friendly for some reason.