Ubuntu is not Firefox friendly

Gordon McCammick forums at gmx.net
Sun Jan 15 13:56:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:20:40 +0100
Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> On 1/15/06, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:
> >

> > It works fine for me. Except java enabled sites.
> >
> > I can't install java-support in Firefox.
>
> I've been perplexed by this as well.  Java installed fine in 1.07 and
> earlier, but Firefox v1.5 refuses to see the java plugin.

I guess it depends on how and where firefox is installed.

I have 1.5 installed in /usr/local/firefox (from tarball) - manually
creating the symlink from java plugin to /usr/local/firefox/plugins was
all that was required to enable java support

> This section on the wiki therefore appears to be out of date:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats#head-ef347c277a133b64af0600bd1bf24bc64e7038b8

Y'know I've never considered creating a /home/username/.mozilla/plugins
directory - guess it doesn't matter how you do it on a single user box.

--
Cheers,
Gordon.