custom dial up scripts and the modem applet

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 19:54:15 UTC 2006

Hi.

I got a EVDO card, and have it working by calling

$ pppd call 1xevdo

from the command line.  I'd like to integrate it with the applet that
you can put on your panel in gnome (Modem Monitor Applet).  It looks
like it works by interfacing with the set up of the Modem device from
the network settings tool.  The network settings tool only works with
the scripts called ppp0, so I just copied my custom ones to be called
ppp0, but that doesn't seem to work.

All I want to do is have an applet to connect and disconnect with my
evdo modem.  Any ideas?