Has Ubuntu Replaced Windows on Your Box?

Henk Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:29:59 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I would like ti completely remove windows form my life BUT
>

> I run a media server at home and have to convert XVID to MPEG , have
> seen nothing in linux that allows me to do that

You may want to check out mplayer and mencoder or avidemux. Transcoding is
as simple as

mencoder $infile -ac $audiocodec -vc $videocodec -o $outfile

or if you prefer gui., use avidemux.

There are debian/ubuntu archives for these programs, add the line

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

to /etc/apt/sources.list.

Then run

# sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mplayer mencoder avidemux
w32codecs

done! If it complains about an archive key, google for "marillat key" on the
ubuntu list and you'll find your solution.

Mencoder is real nice, especially with the w32codecs, you can transcode from
Windows media, Real media into everything you want. I have scripts running
that transcode realvideo streams from the Dutch public broadcasting into
avi's that play on my Palm treo.

Good luck! This is really worth the effort.

- Henk