Printing from networked XP to local linux printer

Matt Egger matt.egger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:29:35 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Scott <angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> R Kimber wrote:

> >> Have you told cups to listen on all IP addresses?  The default setup
> >> on ubuntu is to listen on 127.0.0.1:631 only.
> >>
> >> Comment the line
> >>      Listen 127.0.0.1:631
> >> and uncomment
> >>      Port 631
> >
> > Ah!  I had not really understood this.  I had tried
> > various permutations of Listen & IP addresses, and anyway thought it was
> > by default listening to 631.
> >
> > You have no idea how grateful I am. Thanks very much.
> >
> > - Richard.
>

> I'm very intrigued by all of this.  I have a printer connected to my
> network.  There are also two computers on that network. One running
> Windows and one running Linux.  Both print to the printer "out of the
> box" more or less.    I didn't have to edit any files.  On the Windows
> box I did have to disable the firewall (but only long enough to install
> the printer drivers).  And I'm not using a firewall on Ubuntu (unless
> they set something up by default in iptables or some such thing). The
> router both connect to has a built-in firewall and I didn't need to do
> anything with that for the printers.
>
> I'm just curious. Is my situation odd or unusual?
>
> [Note: This doesn't relate to my other posts here about my printer
> problems.  I have two printers. One has been a problem, and the above
> mentioned has not.  The "problem" printer is a driver issue]
>
> --
> Scott
> www.angrykeyboarder.com
> (c) 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved

What's being discussed here is sharing a local printer on an Ubuntu box with
other computers on the same network.  Scott, it sounds like you have a
networked printer attached directly to your hub/switch/router.  If that's
the case, I wouldn't consider it odd at all that you did not have to
manually edit any config files.

-ME