Printing from networked XP to local linux printer

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Thu Jan 12 16:10:10 UTC 2006

R Kimber wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:04:21 +1300
> Tim Frost <timfrost at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> > I've allowed the XP machine to use port 631 on the linux firewall,
>> > I've given it permission in cupsd.conf.
>> Have you told cups to listen on all IP addresses?  The default setup
>> on ubuntu is to listen on 127.0.0.1:631 only.
>>
>> Comment the line
>> 	Listen 127.0.0.1:631
>> and uncomment
>> 	Port 631
>
> Ah!  I had not really understood this.  I had tried
> various permutations of Listen & IP addresses, and anyway thought it was
> by default listening to 631.
>
> You have no idea how grateful I am. Thanks very much.
>
> - Richard.

I'm very intrigued by all of this.  I have a printer connected to my
network.  There are also two computers on that network. One running
Windows and one running Linux.  Both print to the printer "out of the
box" more or less.    I didn't have to edit any files.  On the Windows
box I did have to disable the firewall (but only long enough to install
the printer drivers).  And I'm not using a firewall on Ubuntu (unless
they set something up by default in iptables or some such thing). The
router both connect to has a built-in firewall and I didn't need to do
anything with that for the printers.

I'm just curious. Is my situation odd or unusual?

[Note: This doesn't relate to my other posts here about my printer
problems.  I have two printers. One has been a problem, and the above
mentioned has not.  The "problem" printer is a driver issue]

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com