HP (Deskjet 6840) Network Printer problems

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Thu Jan 12 08:53:44 UTC 2006

Henk Koster wrote:

> I had a similar problem, so the following snippet taken from my
> installation diary may be helpful:
>
> <quote>
> The setup for my HP DeskJet 5850 network printer turned out to be tricky;
> someone in the Ubuntu forums suggested that I look at the new HPLIP (HP
> Linux Imaging and Printing) setup for inkjet printers at SourceForge, but
> then I noticed that HPLIP was already running under Breezy by default!

Yep, it's one of the many things that flies by at boot up.

> HPLIP requires the printer to be set up with a specially formatted URI,
> to be obtained from the printer IP 10.0.0.160 by running the command (as
> user) "hp-makeuri 10.0.0.160", which resulted in
> "hp:/net/deskjet_5800?ip=10.0.0.160" (note the single slash).

I'm not sure where you got that printer IP (unless it came from your
network).  Mine is different (as I would expect).

> Unfortunately, the Gnome printer manager (via the
> System/Administration/Printing menu) fails in that the required printer
> type AppSocket/HPJetDirect is not available as a choice. The following
> procedure can be used to circumvent the Gnome printing manager:
>
> 1. Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and comment out the two lines
>    "AuthType Basic" and "AuthClass System" near the end of the file.

I found "AuthType Basic" in the file several times but no instance of
"AuthClass System" (See my cupsd.conf at the end of this message).

> 2. Run the command "sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart", and then log in
>    at http://localhost:631 in your browser (no password needed).
>
> 3. Install the printer: give it a name; choose AppSocket/HPJetDirect as
>    printer type and enter the special URI; choose manufacturer HP
>    (HPLIP),

This is where things came to a screeching halt.  The throbber has been
spinning for the 5 minutes prior to the time I got to this sentence..

It appears I may be missing the "hplip-base" package.  I have the other
3 hplip packages.  Either they've made changes or it's not yet ready for
Dapper (I'm running Dapper btw).

I *really* appreciate your response.  I've posted  this request several
times over the past few weeks and yours is the first response.  Thanks
again! Hopefully if I can get this driver situation straightened out,
I'll be able to put this information provided to good use! :-)

Oh and here's my cupsd.conf as I mentioned earlier.
# Show troubleshooting information in error_log.
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup lpadmin
RunAsUser Yes
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
   # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
   # Allow remote administration...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
   AuthType Basic
   Require user @SYSTEM
   # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Policy default>
   <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>
   <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer
Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job
Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
     AuthType Basic
     Require user @SYSTEM
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>