Rhythmbox Rescan Collection / Remove Dupes?

Darryl Clarke smartssa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 02:46:36 UTC 2006

On 1/10/06, Ronny Haryanto <ronnylist at haryan.to> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 08:20, Darryl Clarke wrote:
> > Does anybody know a good/easy way of getting Rhythmbox (by way of
> > force) to rescan my collection?
> > It _appears_ to attempt to rescan when I load it, and at regular time
> > intervals, but it never seems to add new files automagically.
>
> I usually just drag and drop the root directory of my music collection. I
> don't think rhythmbox can add new files automagically like amaroK.

In a roundabout way I think that answers my forcing a refresh
question.  Because that is what it appears to be doing.  I'll find out
later if my total number of songs actually goes up.

> > Also, Is there a way to easily remove (or at least tell me of) duplicates
> > songs?
>
> AFAIK, rhythmbox will not add duplicates of an existing file with the same
> path. If you're getting duplicates, you might be adding them from symlinks or
> something. It happened to me before, and now I always add from the same path,
> never from a symlink.

I know for a fact I have some duplicate physical files, so I just
wanted a method of flagging them so I can go delete 'em.

> > I tried by re-adding the folder of music, but it just adds duplicates
> > which ends up forcing me to kill the entire library file and start
> > from scratch, which takes way too long.
>
> I just tried adding the same file twice with my rhythmbox, but only one shows
> up, no duplicates. Rhythmbox 0.9.1.

Interesting.  I figured that's how it is supposed to behave, but I
wonder if I did something strange.  I am using 0.9.2 though, from
Dapper. I'll have to investigate a bit further and make sure I wasn't
just hallucinating ;)

> The xml database file is at ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml if you feel like
> writing a script or something :-)

Fun! ;) No, not really.  I'll pass on this option for now :)

Thanks!

~ Darryl  ~ smartssa at gmail.com
http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com