Unicode symbols in KMail

Ronny Haryanto ronnylist at haryan.to
Tue Jan 10 08:38:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

My KMail can't display some unicode symbols properly. In fact Konqueror and
Kate can't display them either leading me to suspect it was more of a KDE
issue rather than just KMail.

I'm a GNOME user trying KMail. I'm using the same fonts in GNOME, and I can
see the unicode symbols just fine in GNOME apps, including Mozilla Firefox. I
tried changing the font to Bitstream Vera Sans (and Mono), but no luck.

For example, the right arrow symbol → (U+2192) shows up as a box (like this:
[]). But KMail can display accented letters, such as áćéèü, just fine.

I set country/region to "Australia" in kcontrol, and the only language
available in "Languages" is "US English" (how do I add more languages?). I'm
not sure if it has anything to do with those.

ronny at mambo ~ $ locale
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

ronny at mambo ~ $ locale -a | grep -i au
en_AU.utf8

I'm using KDE 3.5 packages as per the instructions in this page:
http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-35.php

Anything else I might be missing?

TIA,

Ronny