Issues while using apt-move & maybe can have a howto

Shirish Agarwal shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 07:17:24 UTC 2006

Hi all,
       I have been trying to have a custom cd repository & have been
running into some small issues. The wiki has not been in help as it
doesn't tell what the output should be. This is from quoted from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AptMoveHowto

[quote]
sudo apt-get -d install xubuntu-desktop

This will put the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives. Apt-move will
look there by default.

    Step three Run apt move to create the archive structure

Make sure you have enough disk space first.

sudo apt-move get
sudo apt-move move
sudo apt-move packages [/quote]

Now the 1st part sudo apt-get -d install xubuntu-desktop is actually
just an e.g. of downloading xubuntu-desktop. It could be anything. As
told above I can see all the packages in /var/cache/apt/archives
amounting to something like 100 MB over 2-3 days.
Now all the packages are in .deb format.
                     Now the next step to create the archive structure.
Here don't know what the output should be on each of the following
commands.  I have actually done sudo su before hand so it's
1. apt-move get :-  This command got me  :-
                      updating from local package files....
                        All Done, exiting

2. apt-move move :- This command got me :-
                                   Moving files.....
                                   Skipping files.......
                   A listing of all the packages in .deb which are there
                       All done exiting

Now my questions are :-

   1.  When it says updating from local package files what is it updating?
   2.   Do I need to run apt-get update before running the two apt-move
      commands even though they're locally on the hard-disk?. Is it
      normal for this skipping files or should it have given some other
      output?
   3.    I wanna have as verbose an output as possible so I know what's
      happening behind the scenes so should I just add an -v before the
      whole thing or what?

The wiki is silent as to what output should be given. I know that there
are success exit messages & error messages but don't know what the
messages should be.
            Would like to know if somebody has done this & if yes then
either clean up or give more info. on the wiki or have a
clear howto with proper output messages.Hoping to have some sort of
strategy for myself as well as for others.

                           --

								                             Shirish Agarwal
								                          Life is a dream Enjoy it!