Ubuntu custom install CD - error installing initrd-tools

Leigh Purdie intersect at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 01:36:31 UTC 2006

I'm encountering a few problems while trying to come up with a 'cut down'
Ubuntu install CD, and was wondering if anyone had any
solutions/suggestions.

The instructions found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallCDCustomizationHowTo don't seem to contain
quite enough information to get everything working correctly, unfortunately.

I manage to get through to the installation phase. At around 70% of the way
through the installation process, 'installing intrd-tools' terminates with
an error. Looking through /var/log/* indicates that an error occurred in the
'initramfs-tools' installation process.

I suspect the apt-ftparchive step, in conjunction with the package signing
process.

The attached script demonstrates the problem..
Requirements:
* A breezy install
* A net connection, to grab the ubuntu-keyring source
* breezy install ISO
* gpg
* qemu, to test the resulting install.
* 6 gig of free space (in /tmp by default), for a temporary qemu install
file, the destination CD iso image, and an extracted/modified copy of the CD
* sudo password to mount the CD as a loopback device (and unmount).

Modify the BASEDIR / CDIMAGE variables in the script, as appropriate. (NOTE:
The signing passphrase is 'installtest')

On install inside qemu, feel free to use a dummy IP address/config.

The script will:
* Generate a temporary gpg key for you
* Grab the ubuntu-keyring source
* Rebuild the package, signed with the temporary signing key.

The error returned once ubuntu gets into the installation phase, will be:
"Unable to install initrd-tools..
An error was returned while trying to install the initrd-tools
package onto the target system."

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Once I get everything working, I'll modify the InstallCDCustomizationHowTo
wiki page appropriately.

Regards,

Leigh.