default root pwd for base system install?

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Jan 9 19:16:23 UTC 2006

J.Markoll wrote:

> So, if you have many/several admin tasks to do, it's practicle to avoid
> entering user passwd each 10 minutes. But that too can be configured
> different ways. Generally, sudo is perfect, and more secure than using a
> root account.

It did seem rather awkward to  me at first but after using it and
getting used to it, I can't imagine being without it.  I find it quicker
and simpler and less dangerous than su.

The last few times I've installed Ubuntu I've used the "expert" mode
which (among several other things) allows you to set the root password
*and* create a user account (like most Linux vets are used to).
However, 19 out of 20 times that I've needed root access since then,
I've used sudo.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com