grub does nothing

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 13:29:09 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, J.Markoll <j.markoll at free.fr> wrote:
> Thomas Beckett a écrit :
> > Well I have now dist-upgraded the working Breezy to Dapper. If I
> > select the 2.6.15-11-386 entry then it does the same problem - grub
> > prints the command but the kernel doesnt load and it just sits there.
> > If i select the 2.6.12-9-386 option then it boots fine. It is
> > obviously not a har disk error or partition problem as the two kernel
> > images are in the same place... for some reason the latest kernel
> > simply wont load at all.
> >
> > Anyone have an idea. I wanted to start testing Dapper but i didnt
> > think id find problem that close to the start ;)
> > If nobody knows if this is a known problem then I will file a bug. I
> > couldnt find a bug of this nature already submitted....
> >
> > Tom
> What if you installed the kernel that fits best your machine instead of a
> generic one ? and you might want to compile too. Bugs : no idea if
> there's one/several. Did you try to check on the Lounchpad ?
> Greetings, Joyce Markoll.

When i got it to boot using the old Breezy kernel I installed the
dapper k7 kernel and low and behold - same problem. I think it must be
something to do with my setup as if it were a common problem there
would be more people talking about it when i try googling.

ide=reverse is no good in this case as it is a kernel parameter. Grub
doesnt even display the uncompressing Linux..... ok to boot message so
hasnt got as far as loading a kernel to pass a parameter to....
I just wish it would give me an error code or something to explain why
it cant access the kernel image. It is there, its in the same place as
the breezy kernel which boots fine but still it just sits and blinks
at me! Both entries in menu.lst are the same (except for the version
numbers of course). Oh well - ill try for another hour or so and then
I think ill let it beat me :(

Tom