grub does nothing

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Sun Jan 8 04:09:04 UTC 2006

Thomas Beckett a écrit :
>>So it's a laptop ?
> No, this is a desktop
Then why 'noapic' and 'nolapic' and so ?

>>>Can anybody help? I have been trying to fix this for the last 10 hours!
>>>I think I want to cry :(
>>Please don't. A few questions and a few suggestions.
>>Suggestions : boot a live CD and try to see what's in it's belly.
>>/boot/grub/menu.lst (my favorite but possibly not the one that will fit)
>>and see what is written precisely in there.
> booted live cd and menu.lst is correct. It specifies root as on the
> right disk and the kernel root is correct on /dev/hdb1

>>Question : what was working fine on this machine preceedingly and for
>>how long ? is it the right hdd indicated in this configuration ? I see
>>root(hd1,0) which looks to me like a first partition on a secondary hdd.
> see above

>>Do you have Grub on the first hdd Master Boot Record actually ?
> Grub is on the primary master boot record and works fine in booting windows.

>>Do you have the boot partition apart ? hem what else ? is it horrible if
>>you needed reinstalling Dapper, in the worse case ?
> I have reinstalled Dapper about 10 times now with different configurations
Ok. :schock:

> I tried installing to a partition on the first disk - didnt fix it, same problem
> I tried reinstalling on the second disk - same problem
:!:

> These are two new Maxtor 40GB disks and havent had anything on them
> previously (except winXP which is still on a partition on the first
> one) so I thought I would try my old disks which have sucessfully ran
> everyting from Warty and Hoary to QNX, windows and Solaris. Again Grub
> didnt do anything after displaying the boot command-list and sat there
> blinking at me.
Nasty Grub! :-/

> I have now installed Breezy on the second new disk and it works fine,
> Grub hapily loads the kernel and boots the os.
Fine.

> I will now try dist-upgrading to Dapper and see if when it upgrades
> Grub the same thing happens.
Before rebooting still check /boot/grub/menu.lst file  :)
Even backup the one that goes well before the end of
download/autoconfiguration. (My recent experiences under Breezy though)

> I no longer wish to cry, but eating my own arm is looking increasingly apealing!
That's for forgetting time and dinner. Isn't it ?  :)
Well, trying your former hdd's why not ? reinstall Breezy allright, did
you look up to the ISO and CD checksum ?
More suggestions incase of more needs: check if Lilo goes better, then
if so run '/sbin/lilo' to see what.
Check if BIOS needs update.
Maybe a parameter at boot such as 'ide=reverse' ? BTW, maybe something
fine to eat in between ?
Greetings, Joyce Markoll.