netatalk and old old macintoches

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Sat Jan 7 23:56:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:37:02 -0600, David Strauss wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 10:27 +1100, Shelagh Manton wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I cranked up my mother's old old macintosh the other day (os 8.4) and
>> tried out the netatalk software to speak over the network with it. There
>> are some files on it we need and the printer cables are missing and the
>> floppy drive appears to have died. However, I can't get things working at
>> all and in fact it appears to have b*ggered the partially functional samba
>> thing we did have working on our network.
>>
>> Are there any netatalk gurus out there? And maybe while we're at it a
>> samba guru or two might be useful too!
>>
>> Shelagh
>
> I highly recommend using FTP instead.

OK, so how do I go about this? I am truly ignorant of some things.
Can I do this without trying to install new software? This machine was
bought second hand off a school, so we don't have the disks, the floppy is
not accepting or formatting floppies, it doesn't seem to respond to the
network and to top it all off (I've never tried to use the internet with
it before so I didn't know this one) Netscape explorer is on another
macintosh in the school lab and it doesn't have its own copy. Poor thing
it probably suffers loneliness without its mates in the lab! Regressing
into itself as it becomes more and more isolated and shut off from the
rest of the wired world. Sorry, I'll wake up now!

Any way, is it hopeless ? Or can I do something at all.

SOM