fglrx drivers don't work with ATI Radeon X200 and AMD64

George Geller george_geller at speakeasy.net
Sat Jan 7 21:49:26 UTC 2006

I put together a computer with an AMD3500+ residing on an ECS RS482-M
Socket 939 motherboard which has a built-in ATI Radeon XPRESS 200.  I
haven't yet been able to get the flgrx drivers to work.

The best result I've gotten to date is to use the ATI driver and a
disable acceleration.  The relevant section of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
reads:

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Xpress 200 (RS480)"
   Driver          "ati"
   BusID           "PCI:1:5:0"
   Option          "NoAccel"               "True"
EndSection

I've tried both the flgrx driver from ati's website and the driver that
comes with Ubuntu 5.10 by following the instructions from:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Installation_Guide

With the flgrx driver and a lot of experimentation, the machine gets to
gnome's login screen, but X crashes as soon as I more the mouse or press
a key.

Has anyone been able to get the fglrx drivers working with an ATI Radeon
X200 and AMD64?

Thanks, George