OO in Dapper

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Fri Jan 6 08:13:58 UTC 2006

Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> writes:

> I had tried that as well - but it still didn't setup some packages. Apt
> seems to decompress them, and in some cases extract the templates but
> sometimes doesn't set them up. MAybe its the error codes apt is
> throwing from those broken pipes.

The broken pipes are not the problem: the upgrade breaks because two
packages tries to write to the same file (at least according to the
error messages I got), it stops, and then you get the broken pipe.  I
did a fresh install of Dapper yesterday (which by itself was working
perfectly, and looking better than ever), and then a dist-upgrade
(actually a Smart Upgrade from Synaptic) and got the broken pipes,
with messages like this (hand translated from Norwegian):

     E:/var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org2-
     impress_2.0.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb: tries to write to
     "/usr/lib/openoffice2/help/en/simpress.idx/DICTIONARY", which
     also exists in the package openoffice.org2-help-en-us

... and similar errors for -math, -writer, etc,

I first got a similar error for the package locales (2.3.7-4_all),
which crashes with language-pack-en-base.

Planned sending a bug report today, but haven't got that far (yet).
Got to get that cup of coffee first and check if someone else hasn't
done it already.

	Affi