OO in Dapper

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Fri Jan 6 10:27:38 UTC 2006

> The broken pipes are not the problem: the upgrade breaks because two
> packages tries to write to the same file (at least according to the
> error messages I got), it stops, and then you get the broken pipe.

I had the same problem (both with the update notifier and openoffice).
Synaptic was set to do the dist upgrade, but the installation failed
anyway. Then I did "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade", which failed too, but
gave a suggestion to use "-f" option. With this option the installation
succeeded. I was asked a few times if I want to keep the current version
of certain files, or use the ones of the package maintainer. I answered
to use the ones from the package maintainer.

As you see, I didn't know much about what was going on - I'm just a
user, no expertise here. I normally always use Synaptic (or the update
manager) to get the updates. This time I just had to try something else
and luckily I heard the whisper in my head: "apt-get
dist-upgrade...apt-get dist-upgrade" :-)

Regards,
Ari