backuppc questions.

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 23:39:50 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, J.Markoll <j.markoll at free.fr> wrote:
> Tommy Trussell a =E9crit :
> > -- I had to make all the changes
> > to the host and client configuration files.
> [...]
>  > All I remember doing from
>  > the web interface was kick off manual backups or do manual restores
>  > from existing scripts.
>
> You didn't look the right way I think. I didn't all of the doc although=20
> it would have been better. I installed it on my laptop. I did some=20
> stupid changes in the xserver-xorg conf file a pair of weeks later, and=20
> didn't know how to get it back in the original shape. I got it back with =
>
> backuppc : the /etc/files are configured natively by default  :)
>
> The menu for access is a little bit hidden, in one of the lines in the=20
> left column, on the admin web page. Just browse.
>
> The configuration to add certain folders of the system is also reachable =
>
> from this web admin page, even one has to get familiar with it.
>
> Am I out of topic ? is that what you were talking about or some other
> types of configurations ?

I may very well be wrong... in fact, the version I installed would
probably have been for Ubuntu Warty so the current version may have
new features since then, AND I had enough trouble with performance on
the web interface so I didn't explore it much.

As a test, I used the browseable folders to RESTORE a file that had
been backed up, but I didn't make any changes to the configuration
from the web version.

When I get that server up again I'll have a look. In the meantime, I
certainly sympathize with someone who might be looking for something
simpler -- backuppc does a lot, but its setup can be quite confusing.