more RAM as a solution (sluggishness)

Kim Briggs patiodragon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 22:21:27 UTC 2006

On 1/3/06, René <list.account at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Tim wrote:
> > You'll more than likely find that this problem is due to the Gnome
> > desktop,
> > rather than Ubuntu itself - that's what I found.
> >Personally, I just stuck another 256MB RAM in my system, because I like
> > Gnome. That fixed the sluggish performance for me.
>
> >> Am 03.01.2006, 18:54 Uhr, schrieb Filip Svendsen <filipncs at gmail.com>:
> >> I have 512 MB ram, but if I thought ram would help on the sluggishness
> >> I'd probably get more. But I still have sluggishness when top says I
> >> have plenty of free ram.

> >> that the interface feels so incredibly sluggish. I'm not talking about
> >> the responsiveness of apps after they've started. In particular firefox
>
> hi,
> my machine has a great sluggishness too.
> first I encountered that with the upgrade to Breezy (Warty was definitely
> faster on my machine).
> once I also questioned the almost allways fully used RAM (in my case
> 256MB). the answer was that Ubuntu (Linux) does rather use RAM than going
> to the harddisk (SWAP).
> Tim talks about that 256MB more RAM did made his machine respond faster.
> is that truly the only solution if you want to stay with GNOME (as I want
> that too) ??
> thanks for suggestions.
> René

Halo,

I suggest the best way for you to find this out is to use one of the
applets that is available with gnome to test the resources used on
your machine.  Right-click on the panel, choose "add to panel", and
under "system & hardware" choose "system monitor".  You can choose
options to show the CPU, RAM, and Swap usage, among others.

--
http://kimbriggs.com