breezy keyboard woes

Johann Spies js at wdsl.co.za
Mon Jan 2 21:30:55 UTC 2006

Hallo Zoltan,

> Can anyone tell me what I can try to do to get my keyboard working under X?
>
> It works fine on the console so I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and
> re-sensed everything including keyboard & mouse.
>
> The symptom I get is that I cannot type my user name at the login splash
> screen, nor can I get to a console (cntl-alt-f1) - but I can turn the
> numslock & capslock lights on & off, so the keyboard is responding.
>
> The mouse is active so I can reboot & intercept grub & load a recovery
> system.

I had a similar problem some weeks ago and got the following
answer by Mikus Grinbergs that solved my problem:

=======================
On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:53:48 +0200 Johann Spies <js at wdsl.co.za> wrote:
> After upgrading to Breezy on my Thinkpad R31 I cannot get to the
> console using  Alt-Ctrl-<F1-11> as I should be able to do.  (I
> use tty12 for X11 but it also happens when I try to use the more
> usual tty7).
>
> I have determined that it is not a gdm issue.  It also happens
> when I start X11 with 'startx'.
>
> What went wrong?

The problem was found by Nicola Bolla <nicola.bolla at erogasmet.it> :

 Pre Breezy,  /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc  was a directory.
  On Breezy,  /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc  needs to be a file.

If you have a file on your system  /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc.dpkg-new
then (as root) :

  Rename directory /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc (to something else)
  Rename the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc.dpkg-new  file
         to  /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
  (reboot)

mikus

Maybe that will help you.

Regards
Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 021-982 2694 / 082 782 0336 / 021-808 4036(w)
             Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536