wireless on either eth1 or eth2

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 00:32:14 UTC 2006

> > I have a Dell laptop using Dapper with both an internal wired card and
> > a wireless card.  While the wired card always shows up as eth0, the
> > wireless card shows up as either eth1 and eth2.  Which one of eth1 or
> > eth2 it uses seems to change at nearly every reboot.
> >
> > While it's not really impacting the functionally of my laptop (except
> > for the gnome-network applet; I currently keeps two in my panel, one
> > or eth1 and one for eth2 to be sure I always have one that works by
> > default), I find this curious, and I don't remember this happening in
> > Breezy or earlier in the Dapper cycle.  I also uses netapplet, which
> > may or may not be related to this.  Anyone has any insight of why my
> > laptop is acting that way?
>
> While this hasn't personally happened to me, I've seen a couple of other
> cases where it happened after udev upgrades.  You should be able to write a
> udev rule to force it to eth1.

yes I could create a udev rule; and I could play with ifrename.  But
part of me still think that if you have a laptop with 2 ethernet
cards, you should only get by default eth0 and eth1, and not oscillate
between eth0 and one of eth1 or eth2 between reboots.  Now that I
think more about it, I think it started doing this after I installed
Flight 2 from scratch on this laptop; while hoary/breezy/flight1 was
always the eth0/eth1.  I wonder if something changed in udev between
Flight 1 and Flight 2.

--
Daniel Robitaille