sound - reinstalling software?

David david at kenpro.com.au
Sun Jan 1 00:05:05 UTC 2006

I've been fiddling for ages trying to get a sound card to work. I suspect
the problem in the first place was that the card was post-installed.

Question:
If I do something like

sudo apt-get remove linux-sound-base

and then re-install, is there any possibility that everything will nicely
detect when I re-install? If so, what packages so I need remove/reinstall?

I've made so many changes trying to get the card to work that I doubt I
could get everything back how it was, so re-installation of the sound
software seems like the best option to me, but sound seem to be a black
art.

regards

David.