[Dapper] How to get mounted disk show on the desktop

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:24:21 UTC 2006

Hi,
Dapper doesn't show mounted disks on the desktop (as icons) like Breezy
does. It's really annoying and I'd like to know how an user could reset
the default  as it was  on Breezy.  Not being able to show disks on the
desktop was one of the major flaws Windows 3.1 (and before) had, only
partially solved since Windows 95, whereas any sophisticated OS had been
able to do that easily (Linux, MacOS, AmigaOS...)
I've read Dapper's behaviour was fashionable (vintage trend, maybe?) in
today's OS design, but it has serious usability issues (especially if
like Linux allows it you have a few virtual desktops, even more for the
happy ones that have two screen + a few virtual desktops). Finding the
window showing if your USB disk / USB key / CD & etc.. is actually
mounted is cumbersome at best.

I know I've got no chance to influence upstream to change their
settings, so I'd just like to know if somebody has found an easy hack to
return the desktop to an usable (at least for me) state.

Cheers,
Loïc