[Dapper] How to get mounted disk show on the desktop

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Feb 27 18:20:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 18:24 +0100, Loïc Martin wrote:
> Hi,
> Dapper doesn't show mounted disks on the desktop (as icons) like Breezy
> does. It's really annoying and I'd like to know how an user could reset
> the default  as it was  on Breezy.

Two things come to mind :

a) In Dapper there is indeed a regression from Breezy, where Nautilus
would not show mounted partitions. To fix this, go to Gconf and navigate
to System->Storage, then you will see an option to "display internal
hard-drives". In my experience, it won't take effect immediately though,
even restarting Nautilus wasn't enough, even logging out wasn't enough,
I had to reboot the machine, somehow.

b) Second thing, not specific to Dapper, is another key in Gconf:

Apps->Nautilus->Desktop

and enable the option "Volumes visible". This will put icons on the
Desktop for all your mounted partitions.

HTH

--
Vince