ATI Radeon : what works on Ubuntu ?

BBBB ubuntulist at thingbuilder.com
Sat Feb 25 05:20:43 UTC 2006

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 06:54:39AM -0800, Zoran wrote:
> > Just forget about ATI alltogether.
> > If I was buying new card, I would go Nvidia.
>
> I couldn't agree more. I was dumb enough to spend a little extra
> money on my laptop to get an ATI card. Granted, an nvidia one wasn't
> an option, but I should've saved the $30 or so since the fglrx
> drivers are FAR inferior to nvidia's.
>
> Mike

I will never buy a laptop with ATI again. I recently bought an HP and have
never been
able to get the 3D acceleration working. I know that that may not be
important to lots
of folks but when you show your pals that run Winders, a system with 3D
games and
screensavers working, it makes a big difference. If a 3D screensaver pops up
and is
jerking around all over the place, it doesn't leave a very good impression.
  I know it seems like fluff, but the OpenGL screensavers draw linux
questions from
people like moths to a flame.

Bradley