Raid (was: no subject)

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Sat Feb 25 03:20:02 UTC 2006

Trevor Tregoweth wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> hoping someone can tell me the best option to set up a raid
> configuration for ubuntu, I think the options are raid 0, 1, 5.
>
> I am wanting the hard to be mirrored, so either on can take over if one
> dies, then all I have to do is replace it, and it will rebuild the new
> hard drive and off it goes again
>
>   Cheers,

Trevor, (assuming you are looking into software raid) you have some
reading to do.  Start here:
http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-RAID-FAQ/index.html

Then:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Add this:
http://linas.org/linux/raid.html

And this:
http://www.nobell.org/~gjm/linux/ide-raid/

None of these pages are very new.  The last one is two years old and I
think that one is the most recent.  But raid hasn't changed much lately.

Once you have set up the raid array, any modern linux (including Ubuntu)
will see it and let you mount it.  And it's really not that difficult.

If you have a recent motherboard, you likely have a hardware raid built
in.  But I've never used it and I think they only allow raid 0 or 1
anyway.  5 is much better, imho.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams