Server comments

Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) JimBodkins at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 19:44:25 UTC 2006

   I and Sun and HP and IBM and many others respectfully disagree. :)

   My typical server has several hundred gigs of fast scsi (or raided SATA
on the low end) and at least 4 gigs of memory. (Usually P4 on the low side
up to Dual Xeons. That is, nothing special on the low end. Its common).

   Unless you are running boxes that shouldnt be in use anymore, you really
dont save anything by not installing the desktop (or more). Installing the
minimum is not a server in my opinion. It is an appliance. I am not talking
about appliances. (routers, bridges, firewalls etc).

Jim