Size of the Gnome Terminal

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 9 22:18:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:36:06 +0000
paul marwick <paulm at waitrose.com> wrote:

> Here, if I use the mouse
> to change the terminal size, the next time I opent the terminal, it
> defaults to the original size. I've had to use the '-geometry='
> argument on the command line to set it to anything other than the
> normal default.

Yes, the GNOME metacity window manager seems to suffer from severe
amnesia ;-)

My work around for this annoying problem (when I'm not using fluxbox, that
is), is to install the "alltray" utility, which allows you to "dock" apps
in the notification area. At least this way I can size the terminal once,
add tabs as desired, and then leave it docked when not in use.

I haven't been able to find a "remember dimensions" option so that it will
use my preferred size.

Of course, you could always run fluxbox ;-)

Peter