the "Your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions" story

dan hentaidan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 10:26:20 UTC 2006

On 08/02/06, albi <albi at scii.nl> wrote:

> on a few breezy-installations the following error appears :
>
> "Your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions and is being ignored.
> This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File
> should be owned by user and have 644 permissions."
>

> ...is there another work-around ?

I had the same problem on my Ibook with Breezy, Gnome complained and
let me log in, but Xfce brought me back to the login prompt (session
lasted less than 10 secs..).

I'm not entirely sure what sorted it out, but I deleted .dmrc a number
of times, logged into Gnome (I usually use Xfce), messed around with
permissions, and it seems to have disapper.

My home directory is set to 744, the .dmrc to 644.

Dan
--
http://www.danicity.co.uk