the "Your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions" story

Dick Davies rasputnik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:59:00 UTC 2006

On 09/02/06, dan <hentaidan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/06, albi <albi at scii.nl> wrote:
> >
> > on a few breezy-installations the following error appears :
> >
> > "Your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions and is being ignored.
> > This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File
> > should be owned by user and have 644 permissions."

> My home directory is set to 744, the .dmrc to 644.

You sure it's 744 (rwxr--r--) and not 722 (group and world writable)?
I can replicate the fault if I set ~ to that.
If so, you might want to fix that anyway :)

GDM is refusing to use the file because someone else might have
tampered with it (so presumably it's reading/running it as you).
Would be nice if it made that clearer, though.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/