Separate partitions for email and webbrowsing

Tim Littlemore tim at tjl2.com
Fri Feb 3 15:26:23 UTC 2006

alex wrote:
> I have multiple versions of ubuntu installed and have a problem with
> maintaining continuity in email.
> Each ubuntu is configured somewhat differently except they all have
> the same version of Thunderbird with identical mailboxes but their
> contents are different so the threads are divided up betweem the
> multiple ubuntus.
>
> I was thinking of having a separate partition dedicated to Thunderbird
> and perhaps another for Firefox so that whatever email is received by
> one of the ubuntus will be available to the other
> ubuntus.....something like havimg a /home partition shared between two
> linuxes.
>
> Is this a harebrained idea or is it workable?   If it sounds OK, how
> would be done?
>

> elmo aka alex
I do something similar to this. I have a partition called /data that I
store information on that will be required by various distributions.
Then I just create symlinks to this partition from my home directories
on each distro.

E.g.:
cd ~tim
ln -s /data/.thunderbird .thunderbird
ln -s /data/.mozilla-firefox .mozill-firefox

I then just repeat this on each distro. Obviously, the
/data/.thunderbird & /data/.mozilla-firefox directories contain all the
relevant data.

I do this with my Documents folder and my MP3s too. If I have any issues
with my user ID being different on different distros, I just create a
'data' group on each distro, ensure it has the same GID on each one and
add my user to this group. I then make sure that the data group has full
permissions on the /data partition.

Tim