Separate partitions for email and webbrowsing

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 3 15:23:50 UTC 2006

alex wrote:
> I have multiple versions of ubuntu installed and have a problem with
> maintaining continuity in email.
> Each ubuntu is configured somewhat differently except they all have the
> same version of Thunderbird with identical mailboxes but their contents
> are different so the threads are divided up betweem the multiple ubuntus.
>
> I was thinking of having a separate partition dedicated to Thunderbird
> and perhaps another for Firefox so that whatever email is received by
> one of the ubuntus will be available to the other ubuntus.....something
> like havimg a /home partition shared between two linuxes.

I would think the best way to accomplish what you want might be to have
that separate /home partition, and then have multiple usernames that
each contain a symbolic link to wherever you want to keep the master
Thunderbird directories.  Each "user" would be you using a different
Ubuntu variant, so that all the miscellaneous ~/.gnome/...,  ~/.kde/...
and ~/.whatever/... directories wouldn't beat each other up.  Thunderbird
would see and follow the symbolic link to the central Thunderbird directory
from any of these accounts.  (You would want to set up a group for all
of your multiple personalities, and set the Thunderbird directory tree
to be readable and writable by that group.)

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/KevinCole

 "Using vi is not a sin. It's a penance." -- St. IGNUcious, Church of Emacs