Windows refugee questions...

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Dec 31 22:30:24 UTC 2006

David B Teague wrote:
> ac wrote:
>> David B Teague wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP>
>> Isn't Verizon a web mail, online email account? This suggests that you
>> can access your email from any machine anywhere on the internet, using
>> a web browser (such as firefox etc etc) - is this true?
>>
>> If so then it is likely that the process for email will be via your
>> browser of choice and its facilities. If say firefox works for you in
>> windows, it will do the same in linux for example. Your mail at
>> verizon will remain on their machines and will not be affected by your
>> machine OS.
>>
> Verizon provides a "web mail" interface that is the incredibly poor. It
> makes Unix/Linux command line "mail" program look good. I use it ONLY
> when I am out of town for long enough to need to delete some messages
> before I return.

Understood. this is your verizon webmail option.

>I can also use Thunderbird or Outlook Express etc to
> fetch mail to my local machine. (Is this the POP protocol?)

Yes this is pop3 (post office protocol). POP3 is a method of you not
being on line continuously but when you are online, you prompt the pop
mailbox to send your mail to you when you want it.

> That isn't
> an option from a machine booted from a read-only CD.

ok. (I think it actually can be, but it would take a fair amount of
setting up!)

>>> I was fretting because in the distant past, when network access was via
>>> NIC, setup always wanted an IP number.
>>>

>> The NIC will be automatically recognised by ubuntu (most distros in
>> fact nowadays!) and during both live CD use and the default install
>> process, DHCP will be used without any input from you at all. Just
>> have the machine and network normally connected during install etc. If
>> in the unusual case of dhcp not working I guess more manual
>> configuration would be needed. So the NIC will be configured
>> automatically with a local IP number via dhcp. BTW it is usual mostly
>> for the router device to want to be 192.168.1.1 and the PC to be
>> allocated another IP such as 192.168.1.5 say. This is not a firm
>> standard but sort of a likely convention.
>>

> Ah Sorry. I checked again; you are of course right about the IP numbers..
>>> <SNIP>
>>>

> So I can expect it to "just work".
yes, should do ok

>> <SNIP>
>>

>> (see my comments above about web mail?) I wonder if I have fully
>> understood you here. Do you also use POP3 mail collection from a
>> provider also? Verizon?
>>

> I'm not sure what you are asking. Here is my setup:
>
> All I have is POP (remove messages from the server as they are downloaded)

understood.

> I have Verizon ADSL, and I receive email from their mail server.

(via pop)

>I also
> receive mail from another provider, Mountain Area Information Network,
> MAIN.net. Thunderbird is set so that email is automatically downloaded
> from each provider and Thunderbird will send through either provider.

It sounds like two pop accounts. ok.
It is usual that the adsl connection provider (verizon) actually
provides the transport for your outgoing mail (Outgoing server) (SMTP,
small mail transport protocol I think). This is because they have a
guarantee of your identity - you are connected hardwired. The other
mail provider is unlikely to accept your outgoing mail unless you have
an account with a password to verify yourself - easily possible but a
bit unusual (I have one of these myself for mobile travel pop use).

>>> then I'll move email to the Linux side. I
>>> will have more questions about moving email with Thunderbird at that time.
>>>

>> I mostly use only thunderbird  (TB) for email. In my escape phase
>> towards linux I first used TB on windows (and later also on linux with
>> the linux TB settings to not delete the mail at the server - read mail
>> first on linux, then read and delete using the usual approach in windows).
>>

> This sounds like something I need to do. How do I set up Thunderbird so
> it fetches messages but doesn't remove the messages from the server?

(for thunderbirds A and B)

for thunderbird (A)
[Tools>] Account settings>Server settings> UNcheck Leave mail on server
(removes mail)

for thunderbird (B)
[Tools>] Account settings>Server settings> check Leave mail on server

(make sure to use B before A!)

>> When I finally stopped using windows I had to copy the files (simple
>> copy) from windows to linux. I was shocked by the simplicity.
>> Directories had to chosen of course and a couple of files needed
>> special care for the directory, but it was simple.
>>

> Aren't there are some details that are glossed over here? I have done
> this under Windows when I replaced a hard disk.  Isn't there is
> something you have to do in Thunderbird to actually _see_ the new
> folder? What is it? I recall stuff like having to create a folder with
> the same name in  the new Thunderbird installation as it had in the old
> installation, then overwrite the new file with the old file. I recall
> having to delete the index file. Otherwise I can't see the folder in
> Thunderbird.

I think for either windows or linux I simply had a TB install  (new,
empty TBird) then I closed TB. I copied the files into their places,
(profile Default 123abc etc) and started TB again.

there will be useful confirmation via google anyway.

hth
--
ac