Windows refugee questions...

David B Teague davidbteague at verizon.net
Fri Dec 29 13:31:13 UTC 2006

ac wrote:
> David B Teague wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
> Isn't Verizon a web mail, online email account? This suggests that you
> can access your email from any machine anywhere on the internet, using
> a web browser (such as firefox etc etc) - is this true?
>
> If so then it is likely that the process for email will be via your
> browser of choice and its facilities. If say firefox works for you in
> windows, it will do the same in linux for example. Your mail at
> verizon will remain on their machines and will not be affected by your
> machine OS.

Verizon provides a "web mail" interface that is the incredibly poor. It
makes Unix/Linux command line "mail" program look good. I use it ONLY
when I am out of town for long enough to need to delete some messages
before I return. I can also use Thunderbird or Outlook Express etc to
fetch mail to my local machine. (Is this the POP protocol?) That isn't
an option from a machine booted from a read-only CD.
>> I was fretting because in the distant past, when network access was via
>> NIC, setup always wanted an IP number.
>>

> The NIC will be automatically recognised by ubuntu (most distros in
> fact nowadays!) and during both live CD use and the default install
> process, DHCP will be used without any input from you at all. Just
> have the machine and network normally connected during install etc. If
> in the unusual case of dhcp not working I guess more manual
> configuration would be needed. So the NIC will be configured
> automatically with a local IP number via dhcp. BTW it is usual mostly
> for the router device to want to be 192.168.1.1 and the PC to be
> allocated another IP such as 192.168.1.5 say. This is not a firm
> standard but sort of a likely convention.

Ah Sorry. I checked again; you are of course right about the IP numbers..
>> <SNIP>

So I can expect it to "just work".

> <SNIP>
>

> (see my comments above about web mail?) I wonder if I have fully
> understood you here. Do you also use POP3 mail collection from a
> provider also? Verizon?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Here is my setup:

All I have is POP (remove messages from the server as they are downloaded)

I have Verizon ADSL, and I receive email from their mail server. I also
receive mail from another provider, Mountain Area Information Network,
MAIN.net. Thunderbird is set so that email is automatically downloaded
from each provider and Thunderbird will send through either provider.

>> then I'll move email to the Linux side. I
>> will have more questions about moving email with Thunderbird at that time.
>>

> I mostly use only thunderbird  (TB) for email. In my escape phase
> towards linux I first used TB on windows (and later also on linux with
> the linux TB settings to not delete the mail at the server - read mail
> first on linux, then read and delete using the usual approach in windows).

This sounds like something I need to do. How do I set up Thunderbird so
it fetches messages but doesn't remove the messages from the server?

> When I finally stopped using windows I had to copy the files (simple
> copy) from windows to linux. I was shocked by the simplicity.
> Directories had to chosen of course and a couple of files needed
> special care for the directory, but it was simple.

Aren't there are some details that are glossed over here? I have done
this under Windows when I replaced a hard disk.  Isn't there is
something you have to do in Thunderbird to actually _see_ the new
folder? What is it? I recall stuff like having to create a folder with
the same name in  the new Thunderbird installation as it had in the old
installation, then overwrite the new file with the old file. I recall
having to delete the index file. Otherwise I can't see the folder in
Thunderbird.

But you make me think I am making this job harder for myself than I need
to.

Warmest Regards
David Teague